Spoiler-Free Review: My Name is Layla by Reyna Marder Gentin

 

_____________________________________________________________

Synopsis:

    My Name is Layla by Reyna Marder Gentin is a standalone contemporary novel following an 8th grader named Layla who struggles in school and can't always seem to keep letters and words straight in her head. She faces many different challenges and it seems as if things could be looking up until Layla makes a costly choice.

_____________________________________________________________

     Before diving into my review, please note that it is based on my opinion of the book. As you consider my thoughts, remember that you are allowed to have different feelings about this book. If you haven't read it yet, feel free to pick up a copy and form your own opinion on it. 

Content Warnings: Blood, Physical Injury, Abandonment, Loneliness, Bullying.

Note: This book contains some sensitive topics, particularly related to undiagnosed learning disorders and bullying, please proceed with caution.

_____________________________________________________________

Review: 
    I just finished reading this extremely short book. It was only about 130 pages and was easy to fly through in just one sitting. What I will say that I enjoy about shorter books like this, is how fast-paced they always are. There never seemed any unnecessary or filler content in the story which I highly appreciated. It was engaging the whole way through and I never wanted to put it down. This is definitely a book I would recommend you read if you're looking for something quick that doesn't require a lot of commitment to get through.

    This book contains a lot of learning disability and bullying representation and I really appreciated how those things were handled in this story. The bullying that happens in the story felt very realistic in the subtle ways that it occurred. Through personal experience, I can safely say that bullying in real life rarely happens the way it seems to be portrayed in a lot of films and media. These days, it's not often physical or a major confrontation but rather minor comments and looks that can easily be brushed off, by both the victim and bystanders, as nothing. My heart really went out to Layla throughout the novels with her disability and bullying struggles. Although I personally do not have a learning disorder, this book made it so easy to empathize with Layla's struggles throughout the story. it really helped me understand just how much a learning disorder, especially when undiagnosed, can affect someone's life beyond just their academic performance. 

    I have a new kind of respect for people who deal with learning disorders and, yet, are still able to succeed once given the right tools and assistance. Layla's personal life with her family is also very complicated and I really loved seeing different aspects of her character which really made her feel well-developed and fleshed out. Her bond with her best friend, Liza, and especially their closeness, reminds me in many ways of the bond that I share with my own best friend of over a decade. I just really appreciated how much they were both willing to do to help each other out throughout the novel. 

    While reading this book was a mostly positive experience, I had a few issues with the story. I wish that the relationship between Layla and her brother had been further developed especially as they shared a special bond always working to protect each other, and it felt a bit like a missed opportunity. There was also a major event that happened at the climax of the book which was super intense but the consequences of Layla's actions felt inadequate. It just felt like the whole incident was completely brushed off, and while Layla's actions came from a place of desperation, there were still unjustified and she deserved to have a more severe punishment. 

    Overall, the thing that I loved most about this story was the realisticness of dyslexia and bullying representation all the way throughout. Her experiences with bullying were very relatable as well as her close bond with her best friend. It really took me back to my own experiences in middle school, not always in a pleasant way, but definitely a poignant one. Generally, there was a lack of character development for some of the side characters in the story. There also seemed to be very weak consequences for a very serious choice that Layla makes in the climax of the story. For these reasons, I have removed a star from my overall rating. 

Rating: 4/5 stars 

Author: Reyna Marder Gentin

Genre: Hard-hitting Young Adult Contemporary

Publisher: TouchPoint Press

Comments

Popular Posts