Brief Review: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

 

_____________________________________________________________

Synopsis:
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is a classic novel that was written in the 1800s following the creation of a monster by a young scientist after an experiment goes haywire. It follows the aftermath and consequences that Frankenstein (the Scientist) has to face because of the creation of this creature. It is a story with tragedy as a focal point at its center.

_____________________________________________________________

    Before diving into my review, please note that it is based on my opinion of the book. As you consider my thoughts, remember that you are allowed to have different feelings about this book. If you haven't read it yet, feel free to pick up a copy and form your own opinion on it. 

Content Warnings: Violence, Death, Grief, Suicidal Thoughts, Murder, Mental Illness, Medical Content.

Note: This book contains some mature and potentially frightening or triggering content, please proceed with caution.

_____________________________________________________________

Review:

    This book was quite a departure from the books I normally read, except in the fact that it is a classic piece of literature. I honestly thought I wouldn’t enjoy the book because of the fact that it is a horror novel. But, I was surprised to find that I wasn’t scared while reading it and I quite enjoyed the story and the messages portrayed. 

    The book really showed the consequences of how science and technology can go too far, a lesson that humans still haven’t learned despite the warnings. Frankenstein is similar to 1984 in this way but is less creepy because it covers this theme in a more abstract way without presenting a possible future scenario.

    I like that Frankenstein really has to grapple with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life. Overall, this book surprised me by its profoundness and deeper message. It presented these things in an interesting, fictional plot that was neither dull nor terrifying.


Rating: 4/5 stars 

Author: Mary Shelley

Genre: Classic, Horror

Comments

Popular Posts