Slight Spoiler Review: King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard


______________________________________________________

 Synopsis:

    King’s Cage by Victoria Aveyard is the third book in the Red Queen series. The book starts off at the point that Glass Sword left off. Mate has just been captured by Maven and most of the book is held as his prisoner. As the main characters' plotlines diverge in this book, there are three perspectives in this book instead of the usual single perspective. We get POV chapters from Mare, Cameron, and at around the 50-75 percent mark from Evangeline too. As the characters all begin to prepare for an inevitable Civil War, will Mare be able to survive the silent stone and the even deadlier king who holds her trapped?

    Before diving into my review, please note that it is based on my opinion of the book. As you consider my thoughts, remember that you are allowed to have different feelings about this book. If you haven't read it yet, feel free to pick up a copy and form your own opinion on it.


Slight Spoiler Review:


    I think this was the most painful book to read yet in the Red Queen series. I could really feel Mare’s dwindling hope of escape or rescue as the book goes on and it made it hard to read. 


    I loved the fact that the story ended up being told from multiple perspectives. It was interesting to see how Mare was faring being trapped in Maven’s court and always on the brink of death, while Cameron and the Scarlet Guard were planning their next moves. I really enjoyed and was surprised by the fact that Cameron got her own perspective in this story. It helped me get to know and like her better and I appreciated the fact that Aveyard did this. It broke my heart but also made me glad to see that Cameron was finally reunited with her brother after spending most of Glass Sword wanting to find him.


    The only perspective I was a little confused about initially was Evangeline’s. I just hate that we got so little of the events from her perspective but here’s hoping there’s more of it in War Storm. I understand the purpose behind why and when her perspective was introduced, I just wanted to see more of it. 


    It was quite interesting to see the Scarlet Guard in Piedmont and learn more about the new-bloods at the end of this book. I like that Mare was finally able to meet some people who were really like her and understand her ability as an electricon. 


    Maven is absolutely tyrannical and the fact that he is now teamed up with the Lake Landers is frightening. But, I am relieved that at least the Scarlet Guard has new allies too.


     Actually, I’ve noticed in all the Red Queen books that it takes a while for the plot to become interesting. The last ten chapters of the story are always the most exciting and gripping for me. I really want to start reading War Storm right now, but also I am afraid that the finale to this series will disappoint.


    Overall, while I enjoyed this book thoroughly, there were some parts that had me questioning things. I didn’t like how limited the third perspective was in this story and how much of the book Mare spends being tortured (although I do understand why Aveyard chose to carry out this plot point). 


    I liked having multiple perspectives and the character growth that happened in this story, but honestly, I felt the plot was a bit lacking until the end. I really want to start War Storm now but I am also afraid that the finale to this series will disappoint me.



Rating: 3.75/5 stars


Genre: YA Fantasy


Author: Victoria Aveyard


Publisher: Harper Collins

Comments

Popular Posts